- Always get the “OK” from your health provider before lacing up the sneakers.
- Don’t over do it. Keep in mind “carrying on a conversation” if you are too winded to talk, slow down.
- Aim for 3-5 30 minute workouts each week.
- Warm up! Before jumping into your workout take 5 minutes to slowly build up your intensity.
- Cool down! After your workout take at least 5 minutes for a slow walk or stretch, allowing your heart rate to return to normal.
- Play it safe, avoid activities with a high risk for falling or impact (contact sports, skating, skiing, gymnastics, rock climbing, etc.)
- Listen to your body, if the exercise doesn’t feel right, don’t do it.
- Invest in comfortable and supportive shoes, especially if you experience swollen feet.
- Stay hydrated. Drink water before, during and after your workout.
- Befriend your local swimming pool, you’ll get the cardiovascular benefits without the added stress or pressure on your ligaments and joints.
Caitlin Zimbrick is a pre and post-natal fitness expert and certified personal trainer. Caitlin holds a fitness certification through the American Council on Exercise (ACE). An Oregon native and former collegiate athlete, Caitlin grew up playing and loving team sports. She went on to play volleyball at Oregon State University, where she earned a degree in business.
Caitlin leads the fitness team as The Gym & Spa Manager at The Battery, a Members-only social club in San Francisco. Caitlin provides remote personal coaching sessions for expectant and new mothers, preparation for a healthy conception as well as general personal training for health maintenance, weight loss and a healthy lifestyle.